"With Pomp, Power & Glory the world beckons vainly, In chase of such vanities why should I roam?While Peace & Content bless my little thatched cottage,And warm my own hearth with the Treasures of Home."*Beatrix Potter

Saturday 25 February 2017

Autumn & Winter Days


Sitting here looking out of the window signs of Spring are everywhere, it has been a mild Winter here in England but I am still so glad & happy to see the delicate Snowdrops & Crocus's popping their jolly little head's out.
Most of these photo's seem so long ago. I have picked some of things we have been up to since August to give you all a little catch up & a few recipes too.
 Daily life is very busy but I am determined to keep up with the blog.
~


Rocks Cakes are a firm family favourite so I am always trying out different recipes for them. This is a 1950s recipe.
~


Cinnamon Rolls just before going in the oven.
~
We visited a few places just before my operation one was Hardwick Hall in Derbyshire.
It is such a magnificent Elizabeth Mansion.
Bess of Hardwick lived there, a friend of Elizabeth the First.
~


Sidney took a photo of Andy & myself with the twins.
~


There is a mill at Hardwick were you could go on a tour & buy beautiful bread flour.
~


Hardwick's great kitchen.
~


Victoria Sponge Cake ready for tea.
Named after our Queen Victoria, it was her favourite cake.
~


One of our many Home School Crafts.
Autumn has so many beautiful colours.
~


In the Autumn we had a visit to Beamish.
This is such a magical museum that we visit time & time again.
Our history topic then was The Victorian's so this museum was ideal.
~


Cottage shots at The Miners Village at Beamish.
~


These are cottage's at Home Farm at Beamish.
The farm is set during the Second World War where land girls stayed.
I can see us having a trip back there after September as that is when we start our Second World War Topic.
~


The twins making a Church Window Tart.
~


Embroidering a Victorian Sampler was part of our Victorian History Topic.
~


Christmas Crafts.
The girls painted holly for their Christmas cards this year.
~


Homemade Mincemeat.
~


Sunday Teatime.
~


As we were studying The Victorians we decided to make a Mrs Beeton's Mincement.
I have a Victorian copy of Mrs Beeton's book so we chose a recipe from there.
~


A little stroll around the church yard.
~


Snickerdoodles all lined up ready for the freezer to eat over Christmas.
~


We took the children to a Christmas Tree Festival at St Mary's Church which is the church in our nearest market town two miles away.
The twins rolled their own candles there, the church was beautiful all lit up for Christmas.
~


A trip out to National Trust Belton House on a cold Winter's day to do the under stairs  Christmas tour.
~


Look how big Charlotte has got, she will be one next month.
The twins are captivated by her, she's such a happy little girl.
~


Mary reading Charlotte a story.
~


More of the twins handmade Christmas decorations which were all Victorian inspired to go with our history topic.
~


The girls all dressed up for our Home School Christmas Party.
We took them to The Petwood Hotel for lunch. This hotel is where the Dambuster Squadron met up during the Second World War.
~


We managed to get a table in the squadron room were the squadron met.
This room is filled with so much history.
~


Our Christmas Cake this year.
~


A few days before Christmas we had a special tea as Dene & Ellie came to visit.
~


Homemade Mincepie's.
~


Kitty hanging her stocking up on Christmas Eve.
~


Christmas Day, Kitty loved her book on Enid Blyton.
~


Boxing Day Tea.
~


This is how much snow we have had this Winter.
~


Christmas Muffins.
~


Gingerbread.
~


Our Geography topic at the moment is canals.
We took a trip to Bardney Canal which is about 15 minutes away from us.
Water is always so peaceful, we had a gentle stroll & saw lots of wildlife.
~


Ma Larkins Iced Buns.
This recipe is from Ma Larkin's (Darling Buds of May) Cook Book.
They were so good.
~


Our history topic since January has been The Tudors.
We went down the road to Tupholme Abbey during the week we learned about the dissolution of the monasteries.
~


Swiss Roll for tea.
~


Last weekend we visited beautiful Thirsk in Yorkshire & revisted The James Herriot Museum.
This is such an interesting little museum.
~


I'm always drawn to the kitchen's in museum's & this one is a lovely one.
~


& the last thing I have to tell you is we have been blessed with another Granddaughter.
Matilda (Tilly) Florence was born on the 13th of February to Dene & Ellie.
Now we have two beautiful little Granddaughter's.
~


The twins just love her to bits, Charlotte & Tilly is what they talk about all the time.
Dene & Ellie are wonderful parent's to this little girl.
Our family is growing & I'm so happy.
~


I'm sorry it's been far too long since I did a post.
I hope you enjoy this catch up.
Fondly Michelle



53 comments:

  1. Lovely happy family you have. You have done lots, and visited lots of places. I love visiting historical places they are so interesting.

    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was lovely to catch up with you. Congratulations to you all on the birth of that beautiful baby girl. You certainly have done lots and covering many subjects. Beautiful baking as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babies are such blessings.
      Have a wonderful weekend. xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see you posting again. I hope your health goes on improving now. What nice days out you have had. I think museums are so interesting now, making history fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post with such lovely pictures. You have been very busy. Congratulations with your granddaughter. Such a beautiful name. I hope you are feeling a bit better ?
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monique, it's a beautiful name.
      Have a lovely weekend.
      Fondly Michelle.

      Delete
  5. Dear Michelle, I have so enjoyed (and am still enjoying) going through your posts. They are lovely and inspiring, reminding me so much of our homeschooling days. My ancestors are from Derbyshire and once owned a mill there, too. Bless you for working so hard at home, caring for your family! With love from Helen, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derbyshire's a lovely County, maybe you will visit one day.
      Thank you for you kind words.
      Fondly Michelle

      Delete
  6. So pleased to see you back with such a lovely catch up. I hope you are well on the mend now. Congratulations on the arrival of Tilly, such a wee treasure to have another sweet granddaughter!
    Sending you warmest wishes for continued improvement in your health.
    ~~~Deb in Wales

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Deborah, I've been away to long.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Fondly Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Michelle, that was a lovely blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading your post. I know what you mean, I always have so much to say on my blog, but not the time to spare to write it up. I enjoyed catching up, I love seeing your girls in their outfits, and doing such simple, fun things. Such a change from the iPads, mobiles and other modern devices which seem to rob children of just being children xx
    Claire@homesweethome2015

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modern devices seem to take us away from learning other things & spending time with other's, we try to keep them to just a very small part of our lives.
      So glad you enjoyed the catch up post.
      Fondly Michelle

      Delete
  10. I was so happy to see your new post in my reader! It looks like you and your family have had a lovely winter. What wonderful memories you are making with your sweet daughters. Your granddaughters are beautiful!! May the LORD bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are making sweet memories with your daughter too. The twins had their first experience of the internet yesterday & it was reading your beautiful blog. They loved it & were chatting about your beautiful makes & your sweet daughter.
      Fondly Michelle

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Michelle! It truly blesses my heart to read this. : )

      Delete
  11. It's so good to know that you are feeling well enough to resume your blog writing, Michelle. This is such a lovely post of all the super things you have done together. Congratulations on your beautiful granddaughters- more happy memories for you all. Kate in West Wales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, we are so blessed.
      Fondly Michelle

      Delete
  12. Loved your catch up post. Thanks Michelle! X Chy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am overjoyed to see a post from you. As always very lovely pictures. Thank you for sharing. Your family is beautiful.
    Dianna in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was so happy to see your post Michelle. I do enjoy them. Congratulations on your new little one. There is nothing like a new baby. Your twins are so sweet and I love to see what they are doing. Thanks again for the wonderful post and I hope you are feeling well.
    Hugs
    Mary in NB canada where we had over 100 cm of snow in 1 week and this was on top of the snow we already had. enjoy your snow drops. I am still dreaming....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep dreaming Mary.
      I have seen the Canadian snow online, there is so much of it.
      Thank you for your comment.
      Fondly Michelle

      Delete
  15. Thank you so very much for all your lovely photos and your words. So pleased to have discovered your blog long ago, and your new update is a treasure. Be well, and may God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm really enjoying reading your blog and Instagram posts. You are equipping the children with wonderful life skills
    Thank you Michelle for bringing a steadying influence to a world of consumerism and the constant need for quickness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my please.
      So glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  17. Hello! I just discovered your blog and it is so wonderful! I have only read this post and I can tell I am going to enjoy reading it. Your pictures are absolutely wonderful, and what a beautiful area that you live in. I am not sure if you respond to questions, so I am just going to ask about the James Herriot museum. Was this by chance his home? I loved his books and his descriptions of the people and the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debbie,
      Yes the museum was the Vets and also his home when he first arrived in Yorkshire. Have you ever seen the BBC tv series, it's one of my favourite programmes. When you read the first book he discribes his new home of Skeldale House. Now the practice is still going but has moved to new modern premises just on the edge of Thirsk, there is a programme filmed there called The Yorkshire Vet.
      Thank you for your lovely comment.
      Fondly Michelle

      Delete
  18. What glorious living and memories you are having.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am thrilled to see a new blog post from you Michelle. Your new granddaughter is beautiful. It has been so nice to catch up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So lovely to see you back, with all those lovely pictures.
    Blessings Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is my first visit to your blog. I very much enjoyed your post and pictures! Congratulations on the grandbaby!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful blog. And congratulations on a precious granddaughter. Love your dresses and coats. It reminds me of my mother and us three girls in Germany when we were little a long long time ago
    Rock cakes were a memory trip for me as well as the Swiss roll. I used to be awed how my mother could make that flat cake roll and stay that way. We always only had a small piece of this cake as it was for when visitors came....as was mum's Struesel Cake
    Visiting from Sydney, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alexa for your lovely comment, Struesel Cake sounds wonderful.
      Fondly Michelle

      Delete
  23. Dear Mrs Michelle...
    So lovely to visit with you this morning as I sip my morning coffee...I loved reading of all that took place during the Autumn and Winter for your family and seeing all the delightful pictures you had to share! You have such sweet daughters...{{smiles}} And Charlotte is adorable! Congratulations on the precious new addition to your family...I am sure you all are still over the moon! {{smiles}}
    And thank you for your kind visit to my blog, too...it was a delight to have you!
    Many blessings,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so very blessed with sweet little girl's Kelly-Anne, Thank you for your beautiful comment.
      Fondly Michelle

      Delete
  24. What a beautiful family, beautiful photos and a brilliant post. We live near Thirsk but have not visited the JH museum, and I dare say we will now, thanks to your insight. Many thanks, take care, Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely way to spend a few hours.
      Yorkshire is a beautiful place Tracy.

      Delete
  25. I have just discovered your blog and wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your lovely family and beautiful cottage. I've come to the conclusion you are super woman to achieve all you do in a day! I love seeing what you've been baking & it has inspired me to experiment more in the kitchen. I was amazed to read you have 8 children and 2 grandchildren as you really don't look old enough but I bet you hear that all the time. If you don't mind me asking,have you always loved vintage/antiques or have your tastes changed over the years? You have such a wonderful style. You must be so proud of all you and your husband have achieved, you are very blessed. It would be wonderful if you were able to share your wedding picture, I bet you haven't changed a bit. Anyway, thankyou for sharing and best wishes to you all x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Elizabeth for such a kind comment, yes we are truly blessed.
      I have always had a love of the past, as a child and now I feel I was born in the wrong era so in my own way I try to preserve and pass on old times.
      I'll have to dig out a photo of our wedding day many years ago when it is our anniversary in June.
      Fondly Michelle

      Delete
  26. I loved reading your post and seeing all the many beautiful kitchen photos and lovely baking. Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it Linda.
      Fondly Michelle

      Delete
  27. Just discovered you have returned to the World Of Blogging and lovely to catch up on your family news,
    We have a Florence May born in October and have just seen both grandchildren this weekend. Such a joy.Love your museum visits. Hope home schooling is going well and you will continue posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your new granddaughter, we have a Daisy May but she's no longer little, she will be 18 in July. Home Schooling is going so well, I wish we had done it earlier.
      Fondly Michelle

      Delete
  28. I finally made it here to leave a comment. I can't do it on my tablet but just wanted you to know how happy I am to see your name lately on my blog.. Love your post here with just so much interesting info.. You are so blessed to live in the midst of so much history.. Your children are all darling.. Sending blessings to you my sweet friend.. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to be back Faye.
      Yes we are very blessed to have so much history here in England, it makes schooling the girls so much more interesting.
      Fondly Michelle

      Delete
  29. Lovely to have you back and what a glorious catch up of family news. The new baby is absolutely adorable. You are truly a loving family to welcome a new baby into, may both your grand children be brought up with the wonderful family values that you are instilling into all your children. xx

    ReplyDelete